We have two crafts that are kid approved, fun, and will make your little leprechauns jump with joy. You should have most of the materials laying around your house but if you don’t they’re easy to find at the nearest dollar store. Happy crafting!
COFFEE FILTER SHAMROCKS, courtesy of WeKnowStuff.com
White Coffee Filters
Green Pipe Cleaners
Green Food Dye
- Flatten one coffee filter. With your index finger, pointer finger and thumb pinch the middle of the coffee filter to create three leaves.
- Take one pipe cleaner and snake it around the leaves. Make a whole bunch!
- Fill your sink with cold water. Have the kids pull chairs or step stools to the sink so they can easily swirl their shamrock in the water. Have them gently squeeze the excess water from their shamrock.
- Next have them drop 1-2 drops of green food coloring on each leaf. (Having them do this over the sink will prevent them from staining your kitchen!)
- Allow to dry on a few layers of paper towels.
- When they were completely dry, I arranged a few in a small vase. Then, I handed a bunch to each of my children. My son took his bunch to feed to his giraffes and zebras. My daughter took her bunch to make into a necklace.
POT OF GOLD, courtesy of Kinderart.com
- 8-10 iridescent yellow pom poms
- yellow curling ribbon
- green tissue paper
- small baby food jar
- white craft glue
- paint brush or sponge applicator
- M&M®’s, Skittles® or other colorful small candies (optional)
- Thoroughly wash and dry small baby food jar and lid. Mix 4 tablespoons of white craft glue with enough water to bring it to painting consistency.
- Have children cut tissue paper into squares. Starting with small sections, apply glue mixture with paint brush or sponge applicator to jar. Stick tissue paper onto glue mixture and continue all the way around the jar. Apply glue mixture over the top of tissue paper layer. Apply a second layer of tissue paper, allow to dry completely.
- While jar is drying, apply glue around the outer edge of the jar lid. Adhere the ribbon around the lid lip and tie in a knot. Curl the ribbon by sliding the flat edge of the blade from a pair of scissors along the ribbon. Glue pom poms to the top of the lid and allow to dry.
- When jar and lid are completely dry, fill jar with colored candies and give to the lucky recipient! Attach a cute note such as “Kiss me. I’m Irish!” or “A Lucky Pot of Gold for You!”.